Saturday, May 25, 2013

Living in the Moment

Greetings to everyone from Uruguay! :)

Our team made it here safely on Tuesday morning. It was quick turn around from the moment we got off the plane. The 10 STINTers and a few Uruguayans involved with Vida Estudiantil (Cru in Uruguay) gave us a warm welcome at the airport with besos :)  I am so thankful for the 10 STINTers and all we have learned from them these past few days in our trainings and even as we were touring campuses of things that have worked for them and just different things they have learned in their 9 months doing ministry here. A STINT is an internship overseas with Cru. I am thankful for the all their hard work and the fruit of their ministry here in the past 9 months. 

On Wednesday and Thursday we toured 5 different facultades (campuses) each day which are the 10 campuses that Vida Estudiantil and the STINTers are working on. There are a total of 36 universities in Montevideo which means that we are on about 1/3 of them roughly. Thanks to the STINTers the movement has been able to grow. Before they arrived, Vida Estudiantil was only on 5 campuses and those are the ones they know best, but they are now expanding.

This is me in front of the Falcultad de Derecho (Law Campus)

This is me and some of my teammates in front of the Catholic University.
 
 
Yesterday, was our first day that we went out sharing by ourselves without having the STINTers to guide us or anything. Of course, they are still there as a resource for us :) We have 3 different teams and each team will be on 3 different falcultades this summer. Personally, I will be on Chemistry and Medicine (they are right across the street from each other), Engineering, and Catholic. There is a huge difference between the facultades such as Chemistry and Medicine and Engineering than from the Catholic. The Catholic is a private university whereas the other campuses are publicly funded. I remember on our first day, I told one of the STINTers that I had to go to the bathroom while we were on campus and she asked me if I had Kleenex and I responded no and she gave me some. I was really confused by the question, but the falcutades (public universities) do not have the funds for things like toilet paper or soap. I made sure to carry some Kleenex after day. Luckily, I had some hand sanitizer with me.
 

There is such a HUGE need here for the love and Gospel of Christ. I talked to a few young ladies yesterday in the cantina (cafeteria for the falcultades) in Chemistry and I would introduce myself and did the Quest Survey with them. I was surprised by how many students would be willing to give you some of their time to talk to them. Many of them expressed a desire to have a personal relationship with God, but didn't believe that He was real. They used the phrase "tengo que ver para creer" which means "I need to see to believe." I tried explaining to them that the whole concept of faith is believing in something we can't see. I thought of Hebrews 11:11 which says, "Now faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see."
 
After a few conversations, I was not feeling well at all so I went outside for some fresh air and just prayed for strength and for the hearts of these students. That God would soften their hearts. My last conversation was definitely the highlight of my day yesterday. I got to share the Gospel with 2 young ladies in Medicine with 2 of my teammates. Natalia seemed to have a good understanding of the Gospel and Macarena had heard pieces of it, but had never had it presented to her in such a way. I could see their desire and enthusiasm for the Gospel. It brought me so much joy to be able to talk to them and to share what I believed with them. We went through the Quest Survey and when we asked them to rate their desire to know God on a scale of 1-10, Natalia right away said 10 and Macarena said 8. My teammates and I went through the Four Spiritual Laws with them in Spanish and at the end of the both of them prayed the prayer! I could tell that it was sincere and it was what both of them really desired. I got their contact information and hope to meet with them in the coming weeks.
 
So that's a little bit of what has been going lately. These past few days have been hard. I have been feeling really low on energy still trying to adjust to a different lifestyle here. We do a lot of walking to the falcutades (campuses) anywhere from 30-45 minutes just to get there. There are buses, but for some campuses there is not one bus that will take you directly there so it best to walk. Also, they eat  a lot of meat here. Typical foods are chivito (tender steak with a fried egg), milanesa de pollo o carne (breaded chicken or steak), pizza (for them that's crust with sauce if you want cheese so have to order a muzerella), pasta, and media lunas (half moon- it's a croissant with ham and cheese). They are
very big on ham & cheese. For them it's like a snack. Also, there glazed croissants are the best! I'm already getting tired of eating to be honest. The food is good, but just different than what I am using to eating at home. I'm not used to eating out a lot and am not using eating meat a whole lot either so it is quite the adjustment. Thankfully, in the mornings we have breakfast buffet at the hotel and there is a lot of fruit!
 
Regardless of everything going, I have felt such an overwhelming amount of peace here in Montevideo since we have arrived. I am completely in love with Montevideo. In the midst of all the brokenness, the Uruguayan people are so welcoming, friendly, and loving. My favorite place in Montevideo is La Rambla :) I say it is the equivalent to my Lake Shore Drive in Chicago in Montevideo.
 

 
Prayer requests:
1. For energy and to be able to rest well. To find a balance between resting and hanging out with the Uruguayans late at night. Lately, I'm usually the first one in bed because after a long day I'm just beyond exhausted and my body just needs to rest.
2. For Natalia and Macarena as they prayed to receive Christ in their lives. That God would continue to work in their lives and that they would grow in their understanding of Him. Also, pray for the other students that God would continue working in their hearts. Continue to pray for our team as we will be spending 5 hours each day Monday-Friday for boldness and courage and for Spirit lead conversations as well as divine appointments.
3. Pray for my heart. That I would be open to wherever God is calling me to go after graduation. Before this summer, I was considering either interning with Here's Life Inner City in Milwaukee or STINTing in Uruguay. There is such a HUGE need here! I recognize that there is a BIGGER need here than in Milwaukee. Also, just that I would be focused on being here. I titled my blog living in the moment because I want to focus on being present here and not worrying about what is to come next.

Thanks again for all your prayers, encouragement, and support! It means a lot to me. Besos all the from Uruguay! :)

 




No comments:

Post a Comment